Monday, 16 May 2011

A little help from a friend

I visited my best mate from uni earlier in the week and as usual we got talking about where we're at (or not!) with our work.  It's something that I really miss from uni - another person's view point and some constructive criticism.  I gave her my honest opinion about her latest work and she reciprocated and gave me some good ideas.  I took her advice and looked back at my mill memories project from uni for inspiration on what to do with my quilt. (Cheers Jody!)




































I based the project on the recorded memories of Huddersfield mill workers, in particular I was interested in how memories might become embedded in the fabric of a building and I used part of a a quote to form the whole basis of my project. 
















Luckily being the hoarder that I am, I still had most of the research work.  It struck me as soon as I put it all on the wall how similar the colours and shapes are to my quilt.
















I used this to do some very quick drawing work...




















I've decided to chop out a large section of my quilt and apply it to a large piece of heavy woven cream cotton.  I'll then use the patterns I've found when drawing to hand stitch over the whole cloth and embroider the extended version of the quote that I used before.  I'll also try to incorporate the old image of the mill workers. The way I see it is that there's no way I'm entering it as it is at the moment, so if it doesn't work then I've not really lost anything except the tenner entry fee.

3 comments:

  1. oh loads of luck, sounds great and I love hearing about your art-ing process! Thanks for stopping by, your words of encouragement about my art are just what I need right now. It can get v consuming and mind boggling at times :)

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I graduated in 2006 and still have EVERYTHING!! I still create from uni research...treasure it all, it is irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I do the same thing all the time. I make a start, and then look at it carefully pinned to the wall, and see where I've gone wrong. It's hard sometimes when you are working with fabric in a painterly way to see the big picture when you are stitching bit by bit.

    Un-sewing is something a quilt artist gets pretty used to doing, I think. Remember Rothko - he would look and look and look at his work, and then add a new glaze or brighten an area, or cover up an area. Easier when you are a painter to do that - doesn't seem to be a 'mistake' but more of a response to what your work is saying it needs.

    Congratulations on your courage to start again.

    And p.s. , my daughter Grace is now living in Manchester. She is a scientist artist and writes a blog about water. You can find it in the side bar of my blog. (She's one of 'my kids'.)

    ReplyDelete